This is to inform you that during its first General Assembly, held on June 10, 2013, AUB- Faculty United unanimously adopted the following:
I. AUB Faculty United, Resolution 1-2013
In light of recent amendments made to the AUB Faculty Appointment Letter (FAL) which were made without notice or review by the AUB faculty body, and which contain language seeking to significantly compromise the rights of faculty members before the University; and based on the legal study commissioned by AUB Faculty United on this matter, AUB Faculty United opposes any FAL which does not:
1. Exclude all language which purports to:
- Allow the University to unilaterally amend the terms and conditions of employment, including benefits, during the contract period;
- Forfeit the right of the faculty member to seek damages; and
- Give the University the right to terminate the contract without disclosing cause, or in any other way undermining the ability of a faculty member to reasonably dispute cause before an impartial body.
2. Clearly list the full terms of employment and all benefits for the contracted period.
3. Clearly indicate that AUB is a US institution of higher education, chartered in New York, and operating in Lebanon.
II. AUB Faculty United, Resolution 2-2013
AUB Faculty United expresses grave concern over the privacy of data at AUB, given that faculty and staff email accounts were made available outside of their IT environment, and expects that the recently-established President’s committee on data privacy fully discloses in writing its findings to the AUB faculty body.